200-hour Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher Training
Registration is now open for the 2019 teacher training program with Kim Sheridan, RYT500, E-RYT200, YACEP, along with many guest instructors. Our Yoga Alliance registered training focuses on working with the individual needs and goals of teacher trainees. Trainees will come away from this program having immersed more fully in their own Yoga practice and prepared to share their love of Yoga with others through teaching safe and effective Yoga classes. Our training exceeds the minimum requirements set by Yoga alliance and is being offered as a part-time program over 19 weeks February to June 2019, in a management evening and weekend format.
For a detailed syllabus and application package, please email Kim.
Techniques, Training and Practice will comprise the largest portion of the training. It includes the general principles of teaching and practicing asanas, use of props and modifications, effective class sequencing, and introduction to meditation and pranayama. Teacher trainees will also be introduced to Yoga therapy, yin and restorative Yoga practice, children’s yoga, yoga for the aging population and pre-and post-natal yoga. In short, we will practice A LOT of Yoga!
Teaching Methodology includes teaching communication skills, the business of Yoga, teaching Yoga to beginners and valuable advice on how to access your own teaching path and voice.
Anatomy and Physiology are important components of Yoga teacher training. Aside from basic anatomy, we will explore the anatomy of Yoga poses, body structure and healthy movement, how to teach students will injuries and illness, and introduce the subtle energy pathways.
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers
Practicum Yoga teacher trainees will spend a considerable amount of time practicing newly developed skills on one another, including planning and teaching a 1 hour Yoga class at the end of the training.
What You Will Take Away
- An opportunity to deepen and refine your own Yoga practice.
- A thorough study of numerous asanas (poses), including alignment, benefits and contraindications of specific poses.
- An introduction to classic Yoga texts and philosophies.
- An opportunity to practice planning and teaching Yoga classes.
- You will learn how to modify your teaching for specific populations (eg. beginners, students that require modifications due to age, illness or injury, pregnant students).
- Guidance on how to find opportunities to teach that best support your teaching style, abilities and goals and an opportunity to be mentored by experienced Yoga teachers.
Program Entrance Requirements
- You must have a regular Yoga practice
- Ability to devote the training period to the program, including time for some homework, reading and practice
- Adherence to a healthy, balanced lifestyle
- Be in good physical condition (inquire regarding specific injuries or illness)
- Strong desire to learn and deepen your personal Yoga practice
- A willingness to continue to learn, practice and refine skills after the end of the 200 hour teacher training
- Commitment to attend the majority days/classes – a minimum number of contact hours must be completed for successful completion of the program. Any missed work must be made up.
February to June 2019 Dates, Hours & Location
Friday evenings and Saturday afternoons, starting Friday, Feb. 15 and ends Saturday, June 22
Hours: Fridays 6:30-9:30 p.m. and Saturdays 12-6 p.m.
* note that there are no classes on May 17 or 18 (Victoria Day long weekend)
Mondays, Feb 18 and Apr 22 (10-6 pm)
Sundays, Mar 3, Apr 7, May 5, and Jun 2 (12-6 pm)
Location: Sweet Serenity Yoga and Wellness, 8330 112 Street, North Delta, BC
$2500 (subject to GST) – a $250 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your space and is due upon acceptance into the program, to be deducted from the balance owing, which is due February 14, 2019.
Payment plan: A $250 deposit is required to hold your space + 3 equal payments of $800 (Feb. 14, March 30, May 15)
Tuition includes the cost of all instruction as well as a teaching manual.
*Note: Students are responsible to the cost and purchase of the required reading materials and texts. A list will be sent to you upon acceptance into the program (approximate cost $45).
200-hour Teacher Training Deposit
*Classes taking place at Sweet Serenity Yoga and Wellness in North Delta, Feb. – June 2019.
200-hour Teacher Training FULL AMOUNT
*Classes taking place at Sweet Serenity Yoga and Wellness in North Delta, Feb. – June 2019.
200-hour Teacher Training Payment Plan Option
*For current classes taking place at Dance West Studios, Oct. 1 – Nov. 23, 2018. 3 equal payments of $800 (after deposit received, accounts for the gst)
Restorative Yoga Teacher’s Immersion – Introduction (25 hours)
Learn to teach this grounding and healing practice to others. You will take away from this 20 hour program everything you need to begin to offer a deeply relaxing restorative experience. There is no better feeling than observing long-held tensions in your students bodies release as they begin to breathe more deeply and settle into stillness. This course is also suitable for students wanting to delve deeper into restorative practices for personal benefit or for professionals who use relaxation techniques in their career.
In this course you will:
- Explore the fundamentals of Restorative Yoga; the scientific benefits and profound mind-body effects of the practice
- Gain an in depth understanding of a comprehensive syllabus of restorative poses, including individual pose benefits, contraindications, modifications and variations of each posture
- Learn to use props skillfully and how to teach your students how to care for themselves
- Develop clear cues and language for key restorative postures and transitions
- Learn how to skillfully theme and sequence for restorative practices
- Practice hands on adjustments
- Learn to guide meditation / visualization and breathing practices
BONUS: 2-hour Sound Healing Workshop with Cindy Babyn
Students will learn about the principles of sound healing, New Age philosophies regarding the chakras, and explore ideas about appropriately incorporating music into yoga classes. Cindy offers a ‘grounded insight’ to sound. The workshop will also include information on a variety of world music instruments such as the Balinese ceremonial gong, Chinese Feng gong, Himalayan prayer bowls, crystal singing bowls, chimes, tanpura, and more. Participants will gain a better idea of which instrument they could choose to incorporate into their yoga classes and will have an opportunity to try some of the instruments.
BONUS: 2-hour Art of Savasana workshop
Savasana (Corpse Pose) may be the most important pose in your Yoga practice. Its benefits include helping relieve stress and mild depression, relaxes the body, reduces headache, fatigue, and insomnia and lowers blood pressure. Despite its many benefits, it has been referred to as the easiest pose to do and the hardest to master! Whether you find it a challenge to achieve a comfortable position physically, to anchor the mind in quiet long enough to achieve a resting state or you just LOVE this special pose, this workshop has been designed with you in mind.
Learn to engage the entire mind, body and spirit in a deeper conscious resting state than ever before with a combination of gentle movement, restorative poses, guided breath work and savasana practiced in its many variations, including the use of props and adjustments. Prepare to feel relaxed like never before!
Included: Course Reference Manual
The next training is scheduled to take place at Sweet Serenity Yoga and Wellness in North Delta.
Dates & Times:
Friday, January 11, 6-9:30 p.m. – Cindy Babyn, Sound Healing Workshop
Saturday, January 12, 1-6 p.m.
Sunday, January 13, 1-6 p.m.
Friday, January 18, 6-9:30 p.m.
Saturday, January 19, 1-6 p.m.
Sunday, January 20, 1-6 p.m.
Cost: Early Bird Pricing $449 (plus gst), regular price, after Nov. 1 is $499 (plus gst), register through the Sweet Serenity Yoga website or in studio.
Advanced Restorative Yoga Teacher’s Immersion (20 hours)
For those students that have completed the Introduction to Restorative Yoga Immersion or have experience practicing and teaching Restorative Yoga. This 20 hour curriculum is designed to build upon and deepen your knowledge of restorative practices while further honing your teaching skills.
In this training you will:
• Expand your repertoire of Restorative poses and variation, including the practice of ‘advanced’ restorative poses and propping techniques
• Explore creative sequencing methodology, including class design for specific student populations (elderly, pregnancy, trauma-sensitive)
• Learn to incorporate Yoga philosophy and heart-based theming to your teaching
• Practice skillful cuing as well as verbal and ‘hands-on’ adjustments
Dates & Times (training also taking place at Sweet Serenity Yoga):
Saturday, February 2, 1-6 p.m.
Sunday, February 3, 1-6 p.m.
Saturday, February 9, 1-6 p.m.
Sunday, February 10, 1-6 p.m.
Early Bird Pricing (before Nov. 1) $399+gst
regular price (after Nov. 1) $449+gst