200-hour Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga Teacher Training
INFO SESSION – WEDNESDAY, AUGUST 15, 7-8 P.M.
– Please reply to email@example.com if you plan to attend
Registration is now open for the fall 2018 teacher training program with Kim Sheridan, RYT500, E-RYT200, YACEP, along with many guest instructors. Our Yoga Alliance registered training focuses on working with the individual needs and goals of teacher trainees. Trainees will come away from this program having immersed more fully in their own Yoga practice and prepared to share their love of Yoga with others through teaching safe and effective Yoga classes. Our training exceeds the minimum requirements set by Yoga alliance and is being offered as a semi-intensive program over 8 weeks in October and November, Monday to Friday, 9:30am-2:30pm.
For a detailed syllabus and application package, please email Kim.
Techniques, Training and Practice will comprise the largest portion of the training. It includes the general principles of teaching and practicing asanas, use of props and modifications, effective class sequencing, and introduction to meditation and pranayama. Teacher trainees will also be introduced to Yoga therapy, yin and restorative Yoga practice, children’s yoga, yoga for the aging population and pre-and post-natal yoga. In short, we will practice A LOT of Yoga!
Teaching Methodology includes teaching communication skills, the business of Yoga, teaching Yoga to beginners and valuable advice on how to access your own teaching path and voice.
Anatomy and Physiology are important components of Yoga teacher training. Aside from basic anatomy, we will explore the anatomy of Yoga poses, body structure and healthy movement, how to teach students will injuries and illness, and introduce the subtle energy pathways.
Yoga Philosophy, Lifestyle and Ethics for Yoga Teachers
Practicum Yoga teacher trainees will spend a considerable amount of time practicing newly developed skills on one another, including planning and teaching a 1 hour Yoga class at the end of the training.
What You Will Take Away
- An opportunity to deepen and refine your own Yoga practice.
- A thorough study of numerous asanas (poses), including alignment, benefits and contraindications of specific poses.
- An introduction to classic Yoga texts and philosophies.
- An opportunity to practice planning and teaching Yoga classes.
- You will learn how to modify your teaching for specific populations (eg. beginners, students that require modifications due to age, illness or injury, pregnant students).
- Guidance on how to find opportunities to teach that best support your teaching style, abilities and goals and an opportunity to be mentored by experienced Yoga teachers.
Program Entrance Requirements
- You must have a regular Yoga practice
- Ability to devote the training period to the program, including time for some homework, reading and practice
- Adherence to a healthy, balanced lifestyle
- Be in good physical condition (inquire regarding specific injuries or illness)
- Strong desire to learn and deepen your personal Yoga practice
- A willingness to continue to learn, practice and refine skills after the end of the 200 hour teacher training
- Commitment to attend the majority days/classes – a minimum number of contact hours must be completed for successful completion of the program. Any missed work must be made up.
Fall 2018 Dates, Hours & Location
October 1 – November 23, Monday to Friday, 9:30 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
*Friday, Nov. 23 will be graduation day (½ day course content, afternoon lunch & celebration)
Location: Dance West Studios, 12372 84 Ave, Surrey
$2500 (subject to GST) – a $250 non-refundable deposit is required to hold your space and is due upon acceptance into the program, to be deducted from the balance owing, which is due October 1, 2018 (program start date).
Payment plan: A $250 deposit is required to hold your space + 3 equal payments of $800 (Oct. 1, Oct. 15, Nov. 5)
Tuition includes the cost of all instruction as well as a teaching manual.
*Note: Students are responsible to the cost and purchase of the required reading materials and texts. A list will be sent to you upon acceptance into the program (approximate cost $45).
200-hour Teacher Training Deposit
*Classes taking place at Dance West Studios, Oct. 1 – Nov. 23, 2018.
Restorative Yoga Teacher’s Immersion – Introduction – with Kim Sheridan
Learn to teach this grounding and healing practice to others. You will take away from this 20 hour program everything you need to begin to offer a deeply relaxing restorative experience. There is no better feeling than observing long-held tensions in your students bodies release as they begin to breathe more deeply and settle into stillness. This course is also suitable for students wanting to delve deeper into restorative practices for personal benefit or for professionals who use relaxation techniques in their career.
In this course you will:
- Explore the fundamentals of Restorative Yoga; the scientific benefits and profound mind-body effects of the practice
- Gain an in depth understanding of a comprehensive syllabus of restorative poses, including individual pose benefits, contraindications, modifications and variations of each posture
- Learn to use props skillfully and how to teach your students how to care for themselves
- Develop clear cues and language for key restorative postures and transitions
- Learn how to skillfully theme and sequence for restorative practices
- Practice hands on adjustments
- Learn to guide meditation / visualization and breathing practices
BONUS: 2-hour Sound Healing Workshop with Cindy Babyn
Students will learn about the principles of sound healing, New Age philosophies regarding the chakras, and explore ideas about appropriately incorporating music into yoga classes. Cindy offers a ‘grounded insight’ to sound. The workshop will also include information on a variety of world music instruments such as the Balinese ceremonial gong, Chinese Feng gong, Himalayan prayer bowls, crystal singing bowls, chimes, tanpura, and more. Participants will gain a better idea of which instrument they could choose to incorporate into their yoga classes and will have an opportunity to try some of the instruments.
BONUS: 2-hour Art of Savasana workshop
Savasana (Corpse Pose) may be the most important pose in your Yoga practice. Its benefits include helping relieve stress and mild depression, relaxes the body, reduces headache, fatigue, and insomnia and lowers blood pressure. Despite its many benefits, it has been referred to as the easiest pose to do and the hardest to master! Whether you find it a challenge to achieve a comfortable position physically, to anchor the mind in quiet long enough to achieve a resting state or you just LOVE this special pose, this workshop has been designed with you in mind.
Learn to engage the entire mind, body and spirit in a deeper conscious resting state than ever before with a combination of gentle movement, restorative poses, guided breath work and savasana practiced in its many variations, including the use of props and adjustments. Prepare to feel relaxed like never before!
Included: Course Reference Manual
The next training is scheduled to take place at Open Space Yoga in Ladner.
Thursday, September 13, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 15, 1:30-6:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 20, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 22, 1:30-6:30 p.m.
Thursday, September 27, 7:30-9:30 p.m.
Saturday, September 29, 1:30-6:30 p.m.
Cost: Early Bird Pricing $449 (plus gst), regular price, after March 15 is $499 (plus gst), register through the Open Space Yoga website or in studio.
Yoga Teaching Mentoring Program
Learn, refine, get inspired!
Do you occasionally feel discouraged, not confident or uninspired as a yoga teacher? Or do you feel there is a gap between training and teaching? This 6-month mentoring program is structured to guide you through the process of defining and taking control of your yoga teaching career, while connecting with other teachers. Gain confidence from having an experienced and encouraging teacher guide you through some of the confusion of the yoga profession today.
This program includes opportunities to develop in a variety of technical areas and teaching skills, while receiving constructive feedback. You will also learn how to be more effective in targeting teaching opportunities that will connect you with students that are searching for a teacher with your unique offerings.
Some of the areas that we will cover during the program include:
- Gain clarity on why you teach, what your unique offering is, and what (and who) you want to teach
- An honest personal evaluation of what is and what is not working in your teaching career
- Time to work on your own personal practice
- Class themes / planning / sequencing
- Clear and effective cuing
- Class observation, modifications and adjustments
- Expanding your teaching repertoire – pranayama, meditation and advanced postures
- Anatomy review and practical application
- Develop business and marketing plan for yourself that with chart your path and sustain your goals
What is involved?
Even though the program is spread over 6 months, the time committed involved isn’t unreasonable. To get the maximum benefit out of the program, I would encourage you to be as involved as possible with the group and to attend scheduled class as often as you are able. If you are going to be away for one, don’t let that keep you from participating. Just let me know and I will forward you the content that you are missing.
The program is comprised of optional class observation near the beginning of the program, where I observe one of your classes with a mentorship feedback form. I then attend another class of your with an observation toward the end of the program. We will get together as a group of a ½ day workshop once per month to work on teaching skills and drills. The days and times of in class workshops will vary in order to accommodate the majority of the group (weekend afternoons primarily, some evening classes are a possibility). Our time together will be a blend of practice, lecture and discussion. The occasional guest speaker/teacher will be invited to join our group. Each month will feature an area(s) of focus and there will be homework assigned for the month to further expand on the in class focus.
Summary of what is included:
- 2 class observations (optional) + follow up feedback sessions
- 6 – ½ day (3-4 hours) in person workshops, a variety of rotating topics covered
- 6 take home assignments + personal teaching challenge assignments, review and feedback on take home assignments
- Membership in mentorship community online in a private Facebook group (recommended but not required)
- BONUS: drop in to any current 200-hour YTT group sessions for review/refresher, including visiting guest instructors (schedule provided to those that are interested)
- BONUS: Discounts on any privately offered class or training offered by Kim during the time of the mentorship program
How do I apply?
As this is a more formal mentoring program, there is an intake form that I am asking all applicants to complete prior to acceptance into the program. A 6 month program is a pretty big commitment and I want to make sure what is being offered will be of service to your unique teaching situation and specific needs, as well as your long and short terms teaching goals. Email me for a copy of the application package, brew a cup of tea and take some time to reflect on the questions before putting pen to paper. Be as open as possible so we can make sure that the program is a good fit for you at this time!
September 2018 – February 2019
In person class dates to be finalized soon.
Special early launch price (on or before July 31) – $499 (plus gst)
Regular price (August 1 or later) – $549 (plus gst)
Yoga Teaching Mentoring Program
Program runs Sept 2018 – Feb 2019. Application required prior to registering. Early bird price until Jul 31 ($499 after Aug. 1).